top of page
Stone's Tavern was one of Noble County's first "commercial" structures built by the second white settler in Noble County, Richard Stone. The now restored Tavern was opened for travelers in 1839. The Tavern was the center of activity for quilting bees, town meetings, post office, stagecoach stop, jury room, jail, dance hall, and rest stop for the weary traveler or drover.
Due to it's huge size for the time it was built and it's location along the well-traveled trail, it quickly became an early 1800's area landmark and since 1984, it has been listed in the National Register of Historic Place. It is also listed in the Indiana State DNR Historic Register.
The building was operated as a tavern from 1839 until about the time of the Civil War when it was sold. At the time of the sale, both Ligonier and Wolf Lake, Indiana were growing towns, and each had a new hotel. The value of the tavern was lost, and it was then used as a home and later as a barn.
Mr. Graydon Blue, a local druggist, convinced the owner, Mrs. Mary Slagle, that he could save the original building. Mrs. Slagle donated the tavern and the 3 acres of land to the Stone's Trace Historical Society.
Stone's Trace Historical Society was founded in April 1964. The grounds and Tavern were dedicated "to give the past a future" on July 26, 1966. The 184 charter society members and hundreds from the area dressed in 1800's era costumes to attend the ceremony and basket dinner. The first "official" Stones Trace Pioneer Festival was held July 21 & 22, 1973.
The Tavern is open during the Annual Pioneer Festival which occurs the weekend after Labor Day and for special events. The tavern can also be opened by appointment. The hearthside dinner is served inside the tavern, once every year, more upon request.
bottom of page